Here it is ... the messenger bag.
Happily I didn't have to resort to implicating an imaginary dog ... ;).
What do you think?
My daughter loves it. I'm sorta impressed with it myself.
One fabric change and few additions were required since my last post.
First, I talked her into going with the polka dot instead of the red tonal - I thought the dots would look just a bit softer. Plus, dots are happy ... and little sister's backpack has them. I like doing things like that.
I needed more fabrics because the pocket on the back was an afterthought and I made the flap bigger than originally planned (better too big than too small) so we added the pretty scallop and flowers to the mix.
She resisted the flowers a bit because she was trying so hard to achieve her idea of grown-up, but it was the last gray print in the bundle and she reeeeeeeally wanted to stick with the one color. She's quite happy with it on the inside. ;)
And I forgot to show you the fabrics she chose for the inside lining ...
When I started making all the different components of the bag, I asked her how she wanted me to top-stitch each piece. She asked what her choices were.
"Well, my dear child. That is an EXCELLENT question. Let me show you what your mama can do NOW!"
One problem: we both became crippled with indecision. Who knew an FMQ repertoire could cause a problem? haha
So, she went with a few different ones ...
Back (with a little heart in the top right corner ... because I love her.)
A small monogram for the flap embellishment was all she wanted with the FMQ flowers. And for the first time ever I tried my hand a raw-edge applique. Turned out great! Thank you Miss Amy for the inspiration ;)
I added a large pocket to the back and a handle for hanging on a hook.
I installed an easy-to-use zipper on the inside ... TWICE. (Yep ... I knew y'all were waiting for my screw-up confessional.) The first time it went in upside down. It was late and I was tired so I didn't take a picture of it. But here's the evidence.
Second time ...
She INSISTED on a red zipper ... to go with all the little red accents on the bag. She's so cute.
I used two different fabrics for the zipper to "make do". They are the leftovers from the front and back panels. A little scrappy ... but not TOO scrappy.
And check out the shoulder pad! Thanks for the suggestion, Kate.
I made the entire bag with 10 fat quarters - no yardage - and only scraps for leftovers ...
Check back tomorrow to see what I did with them.